st: RE: constructing the rank across variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: constructing the rank across variables
Date   Thu, 7 Oct 2010 19:47:47 +0100

-egen- is in principle wrong here as it produces a single result variable. I suppose that does not rule out repeated calls to -egen-, but I think it is better in principle to think of a dedicated command that does this all at once.

Already twice today I have referred to a review of this territory

SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced

Sorry for the repetition, but Jon perhaps did not pay attention to those threads, life being short and people being busy, and so forth.

In any case, the brief abstract of the abstract above shows that a -rowranks- command already exists.

Jon Schwabish

Could anyone recommend a way to create a series of variables that indicate the
rank of a list of variables in a wide-format data set, akin to using the 'egen
rank' function in a long-format data set? That is, how would one code up 'egen
rowrank'?