st: RE: RE: new version of -rct_minim- available

From   "Philip Ryan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: new version of -rct_minim- available
Date   Thu, 7 Oct 2010 15:33:54 +1030

<<..>>

Nick Cox pointed out that Paul Millar's program -matsort-, which is a
required subroutine for my program -rct_minim-, may only be used for
non-commercial purposes. In a vague and unspecified way, this was always my
intention for -rct_minim-, and in fact it was initially produced for
teaching purposes.  Paul Millar has always been given explicit credit for
-matsort- in the help file.

Nevertheless, Nick is quite right to indicate that the full stipulations of
our programming colleagues should be respected.

Subsequently, Kit Baum, suggested some Mata code to avoid the use of
-matsort-.

In the first instance I have asked Kit to change the description of
-rct_minim- on the SSC server to reflect Paul Millar's injunction, and
propagate it to my program: -rct_minim- should, for the present, only be
used for non-commercial purposes.  I have also added a line of non-executed
code to the header of -rct_minim- such that a call to -which rct_minim- will
show the injunction.  Kit has already done this (thanks Kit).

When time for appropriate testing permits, I will produce a new version of
-rct_minim- embedding Kit's suggested Mata code, and then remove both the
need for -matsort- and the injunction from -rct_minim-.

Thanks again to Nick and Kit.

Phil

Philip Ryan
Professor and Director
Data Management & Analysis Centre [DMAC]
Discipline of Public Health
University of Adelaide 5005
South Australia