Re: st: Wilcoxon signed-rank test for clustered data

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Wilcoxon signed-rank test for clustered data
Date   Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:46:54 +0100

The -somersd- package, downloadable from SSC, computes confidence limits for a wide range of rank statistics, including clustered ones. In the case of the Wilcoxon test for clustered data, we are interested in one of 2 statistics, namely Somers' D of outcome with respect to membership of the first group (calculated using the -somersd- command) and the Hodges-Lehmann median difference between groups (calculated using either the -cendif- command or the -censlope- command). All 3 of these commands have a -cluster()- option.

As an aside, the Wilcoxon test does not "compare the medians". It tests for a zero value for the median difference, which is not usually the same thing as a difference between medians (although it is when the 2 distributions compared are either symmetrical or differ only in location). However, it is possible to use -censlope- or -cendif- with clustered data to estimate medians (with confidence limits), and then to use the -invcise- package, together with the -metaparm- option of -parmest-, to get a confidence interval for the difference between medians. However, this difference between medians is not a parameter corresponding to the Wilcoxon test, and is probably not what Harsha really wants. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil