st: R: Wilcoxon signed-rank test for clustered data - flag: Stata 9/2 SE

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Wilcoxon signed-rank test for clustered data - flag: Stata 9/2 SE
Date   Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:32:11 +0200

Hasha may want to consider a bootstrap procedure (that allows for
clusters)like in the following examples:
--------- code begins-----------------------------------
drop _all
set obs 10
input id time
            id       time
  1 0
  1 1
  2 0
  2 1
  3 0
  3 1
  4 0
  4 1
  5 0
  5 1
g acu_sight=2*uniform() if  time==0
replace acu_sight=5*uniform() if time==1
qui sum  acu_sight, d
bootstrap r(p50), reps(1000) cluster(id) : qui sum  acu_sight, d
--------- code ends-------------------------------------

In your query, the issue with clustering seems to be double, since you have
two operated eyes for each principal sample unit (ie: patient) and two
different points in time for measurement (before and after ocular surgery).
Please note that the previous example takes into account only one source of
clustering, that is visual acuity before and after the surgery.
Last but absolutely not least, I would strongly recommend you to take a look
at Roger Newson's webpage (http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/).
Roger has addressed a lot of  his research activity in creating Stata
user-written programmes, some of those focusing on non parametric median
statistics.

HTH and Kind Regards,
Carlo