st: re: comparison two SUR models

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   <>
Subject   st: re: comparison two SUR models
Date   Sun, 3 Oct 2010 21:29:42 -0400

I'm using seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) technique to estimate
four models (equations). I have imposed symmetry in this model (some
coefficients amog different equations are the same). I have also run
the same 4 equations under the same approach without imposing
symmetry. I want to compare both models to see which one is more

Instead of imposing the constraints and estimating the SUR system with symmetry, estimate the unrestricted system
and use -test- to jointly specify all of the symmetry restrictions. That will give you an F test (with numerator df equal to the number of restrictions) that will allow you to consider the null of symmetry.

There is a worked example of this in section 9.4 of IMEUS.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |