RE: st: interesting reference

From   "David Radwin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: interesting reference
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

Stas Kolenikov wrote:
> Any additional comments on my question about -confirm-ations and
> -assert-ions?

I use -assert- occasionally in do-files, such as -assert _merge==3- as a
check that I am merging files correctly (or merging the correct files).

The other command of this nature that is more often helpful is -isid-,
which checks that varlist (typically a single variable that supposedly
identifies each individual) (1) is unique over all observations (that is,
no duplicates) and (2) is never missing. This step can be helpful when you
first examine a dataset constructed by someone else. Similar to -assert-,
-isid- continues silently if everything if both conditions are met but
returns an informative error message otherwise.

David
--
David Radwin
Research Associate