st: RE: RE: RE: how to -expand- and attach new group id to panel data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: how to -expand- and attach new group id to panel data
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:25:37 +0100

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Steve

Thanks Nick.

I want to use -xtivreg, re- but to give more weight to some groups.  As
there is no weight facility with -xtivreg, re- I thought of -expand-ing the
groups in lieu of weighting, and then running -xtivreg, re-.  I appreciate
that the standard errors will be meaningless but it is the coefficients that
I am most interested in.

Nick Cox

Two answers:

1. Why and how are you discriminating between clones of any panel?

2. -egen, seq()-.

Steve

I have a balanced panel data set with 3 annual observations for each of 3
groups e.g.,

Group_id	year
1		78
1		79
1		80
2		78
2		79
2		80
3		78
3		79
3		80

Suppose I use -expand- to generate, say, one extra copy of the data for
group_id 2 and two extra copies of the data for group_id 3.  Now I have:

Group_id	year
1		78
1		79
1		80
2		78
2		79
2		80
3		78
3		79
3		80
2		78
2		79
2		80
3		78
3		79
3		80
3		78
3		79
3		80

How do I give new group_ids to the copied data so that now:

Group_id	year	Newgroup_id
1		78	1
1		79	1
1		80	1