st: Including age as covariate or using age-stratified estimates in stcox

From   roland andersson <rolandersson@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Including age as covariate or using age-stratified estimates in stcox
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:00:19 +0200

I am analysing cause-specific mortality after appendectomy. Mortality
is strongly related to age as is exposure to different morbidities.
The hazard therefore varies according to age. I get substantially
different results if I use stcox with strata(age) or include age and
age2 as covariates. Can you help me understand the difference and the
correct use of stratified anlysis versus including the variables as
covariates.

Roland Andersson, MD, PhD