st: RE: interesting reference

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>, "'statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu'" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: interesting reference
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:22:26 +0100

Various old Latin teachers of mine sent me astonished communications from the beyond.
The journal concerned is Annales Zoologici Fennici. Mea culpa, mea minima culpa.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Nick Cox

I came across a very interesting article by Esa Läärä (that is Laara with diareses on all the a's). (Experts in Finnish pronunciation and/or biostatisticians familiar with this distinguished colleague may help by explaining how to pronounce that name.)

2009. Statistics: reasoning on uncertainty, and the insignificance of testing null. Annales Zoologicae Fennici 46: 138-157.

http://www.sekj.org/PDF/anz46-free/anz46-138.pdf

which touches provocatively on several topics often aired on this list including the uselessness of dynamite or detonator plots, displays for comparing group means and especially the over-use of null hypothesis testing. The main target audience is ecologists but most of the issues cut across statistical science.