st: RE: interesting reference

From   Nick Cox <>
To   Nick Cox <>, "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: interesting reference
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:22:26 +0100

Various old Latin teachers of mine sent me astonished communications from the beyond.
The journal concerned is Annales Zoologici Fennici. Mea culpa, mea minima culpa.

Nick Cox

I came across a very interesting article by Esa Läärä (that is Laara with diareses on all the a's). (Experts in Finnish pronunciation and/or biostatisticians familiar with this distinguished colleague may help by explaining how to pronounce that name.)

2009. Statistics: reasoning on uncertainty, and the insignificance of testing null. Annales Zoologicae Fennici 46: 138-157.

which touches provocatively on several topics often aired on this list including the uselessness of dynamite or detonator plots, displays for comparing group means and especially the over-use of null hypothesis testing. The main target audience is ecologists but most of the issues cut across statistical science.