st: Re: RE: Is Stata inefficient for Matching?

From   Christopher Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Is Stata inefficient for Matching?
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:09:59 -0400

On Sep 30, 2010, at 2:33 AM, Nick Cox wrote:

> Just guessing broadly, but
> 1. Get a faster computer.
> 2. Rewrite the internals of -psmatch2- in Mata.
> are my (non-facetious but possibly not practical) suggestions.

As -ssc type psmatch2.ado- will show, Leuven and Sianesi have already done #2!  For a while the package was distributed with a C-language plugin, but the hassles of maintaining that (and providing it in several flavors) led to the routine being Mata-ized. Now whether it could be more efficiently Mata-ized I don't know; I imagine that if Bill Gould got his hands on the code it could be.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |