st: RE: Graphing: How to suppress labels on second y axis

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Graphing: How to suppress labels on second y axis
Date   Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:57:36 +0100

Why do you need a second y axis any way? For example, you could add axis ticks to the x axis to signal times of alert events or a grid of xli().

McDermaid, Cameron

Stata 11 SE

I am trying to suppress labelling on a second y axis in a combined
graph.  The graph is normalized patient flow vs. dates as a line graph
(yaxis 1) with a dropline graph showing alert events (yaxis 2). The
alert events are dichotomous and a maximum of 1 can appear per day so a
scale for the alerts (0-1) isn't really useful.

The working graph command is as follows from a foreach command (hence
the local macro `lev'):

twoway line `lev'normalized adm_date, by(hospital, col(1) legend(off)
note(" ") title("`lev' Syndrome", size(medium))) name(Normalized_`lev')
yaxis(1) ylabel(#4, angle(0) labsize(vsmall) axis(1)) ytitle("Proportion
of Cases (%)") xtitle("Date") xlabel(#10, labsize(small)) || dropline
alert`lev' adm_date, yaxis(2) msymbol(i) ylabel(0(1)1,axis(2))

If I use ylabel(none, axis(2)), I get the following error message:
"incompatible types   may not assign class to double" and the process
stops.  My understanding was that I added the rule (none) and the
suboption axis(n) to designate the axis to which the rule is applied.

Any thoughts on how to suppress labelling on axis 2 would be