st: question on survival analysis and selection correction

From   Gáti Annamária <annamaria.gati@tarki-tudok.hu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: question on survival analysis and selection correction
Date   Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:58:01 +0200

Hello!

I am doing survival analysis on a graduate dataset.
I analyze "how long graduates survive in unemployment" after graduation.
Some find a job in 1 month, some in 3 etc, some not even in 30 month.

There are graduates in my data who do not search for a job after graduation as they already had one while doing their studies (they mostly did evening courses etc.).

I suppose there is a selection bias I should account for while I am doing my survival analysis as those who search for a job after graduation are mostly young, doing their studies full time and therefore they are definitely different from the ones who earn their degrees while working.

Is it possible to use the Heckmann correction methods together with survival analysis? That is the only method I have learnt a bit about.
If I need to do this correction what is the way to specify it in my syntax?

annamaria gati