Re: st: Omnibus effects following xtmelogit with margins

From   Philip Ender <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Omnibus effects following xtmelogit with margins
Date   Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:41:05 -0700

Oops, in my previous posting (see below) I left out an important
option to the -anovalator- command.   The correct -anovalator-
commands should read as follows.

.  anovalator time, main predict(xb)   /* or */
.  anovalator time, main predict(mu fixedonly)

This time I even more sincerely hope that this is not too confusing.

Phil
--
Phil Ender
UCLA Statistical Consulting Group

"Ploutz-Snyder, Robert (JSC-SK)[USRA]" wrote
... I also ran into a snag using -margins- as I usually do after an
-xtmixed- model to obtain omnibus main effects for an ordinal factor
variable.
But my use of -margins- to get the omnibus main effect for time (as I
would with xtmixed) failed:

. margins time, asbalanced atmeans
default prediction is a function of possibly stochastic quantities
other than e(b)
r(498);
----------------------
Robert-

I've been following your discussion with Michael Mitchell about the
design of your analysis.  I would like to pick up on your second
question concerning using -margins-, for which I have two comments.

1)  The default predictor for -xtmelogit- is mu which has uses both
fixed and random effects.  If you are interested in having the
predictive margins scaled as a linear predictor, you can use

.   margins time, asbalanced atmeans predict(xb)

If you want to have your predictive margins scaled as a probabilities,
then -margins- can (will) only use the fixed effects of the model,
like this.
.  margins time, asbalanced atmeans predict(mu fixedonly)

2)  In any case, neither of the above is a "true" main effect because
the factor variables use dummy coding.  You can use the -anovalator-
to get main effects (findit anovalator).

.  anovalator time, predict(xb)   /* or */
.  anovalator time, predict(mu fixedonly)

I hope this is not too confusing.