Re: Re: st: xtmixed versus spss mixed; random intercept only model

From   Philip Ender <ender97@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: Re: st: xtmixed versus spss mixed; random intercept only model
Date   Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:51:56 -0700

Apparently you told Stata to "reverse reference" by using ib1.trmt
instead of i.trmt.   Is this documented somewhere?? ...
and while I get confused about how to use the r. notation, I'm aware
that it exists. ...
-----------------------

Robert,

Try help fvvarlist.  This gives all of the options for coding factor
variables .  And yes,choice of reference group for dummy coding can
effect the values of the estimates even when the model is balanced.
Although, overall the models are equivalent regardless of the choice
of reference group.

The R.varname notation for -xtmixed- is a shorthand for describing the
levels of varname as a series of indicator variables, that is, when
the random effect is crossed rather than nested.

--
Phil Ender
UCLA Statistical Consulting Group