Re: st: Syntax forvalues in Stata 11 SE

From   Neil Shephard <nshephard@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Syntax forvalues in Stata 11 SE
Date   Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:58:52 +0000

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Gauri Khanna <gwkhanna@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new user to the Stata 11.1 SE
>
> I have run into syntax problems with the - forvalues- command while creating a loop.
>
> My syntax which comes from Stata 9 is the following:
>
> forvalues svy = 1/`max1' {
>     use "'allsvys'", clear
>     keep if i==`svy'
> }
>
> and I get the following error :
>
> invalid syntax
> r(198);

What is the value of `max1' and how are you setting it prior to your loop?

You can use -set trace on- to look at how your -forval- line is
actually being interpreted.

> Subsequently, i would also like to run the following syntax (shortened for convenience)
>
> foreach x of local names {
>         if "`x'"=="lgsmkc" {
>             display "`x'"
>             gen row`j'=lgcigc
>             local j=`j'+1
>         }
> }
>
> Can anyone help?

What are you trying to achieve here, its not clear to me?

It looks like you'll create variables row1 to row[n] that will all be
identical to the variable 'lgcigc' which doesn't seem like a useful
thing to do.

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything

Email - nshephard@gmail.com
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/