Re: st: shifting values one period ahead

From   Eric Booth <ebooth@ppri.tamu.edu>
To   "<statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: shifting values one period ahead
Date   Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:35:18 +0000

<>

On Sep 22, 2010, at 6:19 PM, Eric Booth wrote:

>> I am facing a tricky coding issue that involves creating 'newvar1'
>> from 'var1' given 'id' and 'start'.

The solution I proposed in the previous email creates the 'newvar1', but it does so in relation to 'id', not 'start'.  However, I don't see how 'start' impacts the creation of 'newvar1'.

For instance, in the second observation and the third observation 'newvar1' gets a 1 because 'var1' in the first and second observation gets a 1, but 'start' is 1 in the first observation and zero in the second observation yet the result for the creation of 'newvar1' is the same because it is based solely upon 'var1' by 'id'.  If there is some rule whereby 'newvar1' is created based on both 'id' and 'start', then there needs to be more explanation or clearer example data.