st: RE: Error when -if- block is the last Mata line

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Error when -if- block is the last Mata line
Date   Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:52:14 +0100

Have a look first at Bill Gould's post

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-06/msg00392.html

Steve Samuels

I'm trying to learn Mata-better late than never.  I encountered the
issue below when I tried to run a suggestion that Ben Jann made in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-02/msg00439.html.

If I type the following code snippets interactively, I get a prompt
">" after the -if- line (first snippet) or after the -if- block
(second snippet).

If I run the code in a -do file-, I get an "unexpected end of line"
error. If I add any command after the if line or block (but not if I
add a comment line), there is no error. Obviously Stata is expecting
something after the -if- blocks. What and why? It looks like an -if-
line or block can't be the last line in a Mata session.

****************
//snippet 1
clear
mata