Re: st: RE: St: Panel data imputation

From   David Bai <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: St: Panel data imputation
Date   Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:45:46 -0400

Thanks, Nick. This makes good sense. Thanks again to Nick and Maarten for the help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Sep 21, 2010 12:32 pm
Subject: RE: st: RE: St: Panel data imputation

How we can tell?

Why not do both and see what difference it makes and show your readers?

David Bai

Thanks Nick and Maarren.
My impression is that, ignore missing values (default approach in
Stata), which I assume is listwise approach, has been critisized by
many researchers, such as Paul Allison, because the sample without
missing values may end up to be very different from the original
population. So whether the results derived from the listwised cases can
be generalizable to the original population is suspectable. That's why
methods like MI have been developed. Although MI has its limitations, I
assume that it is better than using listwise-deleted sample that no
longer represent the original population?

Maarten buis <[email protected]>