Re: st: Log file

From   Neil Shephard <nshephard@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Log file
Date   Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:26:39 +0000

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Vassilopoulos Achilleas
<vassilopoulos.statalist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear listers,
>
> After running a complex procedure, I have a huge log file of more than
> 3,000,000 lines in smcl format. I'm interested in the last few lines of the
> file, where all the results are displayed in matrices. The problem is that
> it is impossible to go there using -page down- or the cursor on the side
> because it takes ages.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a shortcut I could use?

You don't state what operating system you are using, version of Stata,
or how you are trying to view the log-file.

If on a UNIX-type system I'd recommend using 'tail -n200 [filename]'
to display the last 200 lines of your file.

Independent of the operating system Emacs is quite good at opening
very large files.

Alternatively you could write your do-file in such a manner that the
main log-file is closed before the command that displays the matrices,
and open a new log-file to record just the section of interest and
then view that.

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything

Email - nshephard@gmail.com
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/