Re: st: -cluster measures- with Gower measure

From   Phil Schumm <pschumm@uchicago.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: -cluster measures- with Gower measure
Date   Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:55:12 -0500

On Sep 20, 2010, at 12:46 PM, khigbee@stata.com wrote:
Phil Schumm <pschumm@uchicago.edu> found that the -Gower- option (a dissimilarity measure) did not work with the programming utility - cluster measures-.

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. cluster measures weight mpg foreign, compare(1) gen(dist) Gower
r(9388);

This is an oversight and will be fixed in a future update.

Thanks!

Generally I prefer the -matrix dissimilarity- command over the - cluster measures- command for obtaining dissimilarities. If the dissimilarities Phil is after will fit in a Stata matrix, then - matrix dissimilarity- is the solution to use.

I appreciate the advice. In this case, the dataset is rather large (i.e., with numbers of observations in the 50-75k range), and all I need is to repeatedly sort the observations WRT their distance from specific records taken from another dataset. The -cluster measures- command seemed well suited to this (I'm not too concerned about speed here), but I'd of course welcome other suggestions.

-- Phil