st: RE: Closing gaps in STATA panel

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: Closing gaps in STATA panel
Date   Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:25:40 +0100

help -fillin-.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Morten Hesse

I would like to request help for a problem with panels.

What I have is this:

I have a list of observations that indicate "events". These have a date
and a subject ID.

Using "collapse" I have turned them into a panel with ID and time (years).

When the event has not occurred within a year, the observation year does
not exist. That is, there are gaps in the panel.

I would like to add observation years for each ID with the value "0" to
the event, when there is no event - essentially to close the gaps.

As my original dataset with events is the only relevant source of
information about the events, the values should be zeroes.

I have tried to read about tsappend, but I could not figure out how to
use this command for this end.