st: -cluster measures- with Gower measure

From   Phil Schumm <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: -cluster measures- with Gower measure
Date   Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:24:06 -0500

I'm working on a project where I need to match observations from one dataset to those from another based on the degree of similarity across a set of variables. The programming is such that it would be convenient to use -cluster measures-, but it doesn't appear to work with the Gower measure:

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. cluster measures weight mpg foreign, compare(1) gen(dist) Gower

I haven't had a chance yet to drill down more closely to see what's going on, but in the meantime, I thought I'd check to see whether anyone else has stumbled across this same problem. Unless I missed it, I don't believe the documentation precludes this combination...

-- Phil