st: on balancing a panel data

From   rado645-bg@yahoo.de
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: on balancing a panel data
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 02:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I have a panel data set of observations for countries over several years. The
number of countries varies: the minimum number  is 52 per year and the maximum
number is 73. For certain reasons (graphs),  I would like to make the panel
dataset a kind of balanced and I need to have the same countries in each year
across the sample period even if I would need to exclude some of them.

Could you help me on how one can make this in Stata, i.e. to keep only those
countries for which data is available for each year and exclude the rest. Below
is a simplified description of the dataset:

year      country    var1
1990     1              ...
1990      2             ...
1990      3