Re: st: Question on interpretation of survey data: from the mean to the total

From   Laurie Molina <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Question on interpretation of survey data: from the mean to the total
Date   Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:09:10 -0500

In my dataset each observation is a household and the weights are for
households.
In the survey there is a question about the number of cars of the household.
So i am interested in the average number of cars of the HH.
An also i am interested in the total number of cars owned by HH.

To my understand it is ok to calculate the average number of cars of
the HH, even with
summarize cars[weight=factor].

But if i get that mean, and i multiply it by the (expanded) number of
observations (HH), is it ok to say that it is the total number of cars
of the HH in the survey?

Thank you very much again!