st: generating indicators

From   Wassim Tarraf <>
Subject   st: generating indicators
Date   Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:45:21 -0400

Dear Stata list members- I have a dataset that includes a variable A which is an identifier (nonconsecutive person id numbers) and a variable B which is a list of medical (icd9) conditions (string). Each person (identified by A) has as many records as reported conditions (conditions could be reported more than once). I would appreciate suggestions on an efficient way to generate conditions indicators (coded 0,1) that would account for whether a specific individual reported a certain condition or not.