st: re: mac data editor bug with last update

From   "Airey, David C" <david.airey@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject   st: re: mac data editor bug with last update
Date   Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:15:44 -0500

> Can anyone else paste their data into the Mac data editor in the latest Stata 11.1?
> I keep getting this error:
> . *(1 variable, -1 observation pasted into data editor)

I found the problem.

Some minus signs in my data  were in fact some other character that looked like a minus sign, except where longer (endash, emdash, whatever). When I replaced these with the keyboard minus sign, the data pasted and imported fine.

I have always found the Stata data editor very good about pasting small data sets in and use it a lot; this one I just missed on the data cleaning side.