st: mata's st_data

From   joe j <>
Subject   st: mata's st_data
Date   Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:47:59 +0200

I was wondering if there is a way to use wildcard for variable names
in mata's "st_data" function. I have a large number of variables, like
US_ctry, UK_ctry, etc, all of which could be defined in Stata as

But when I try the following in mata:
A  =  st_data(.,(“*ctry”)).

I get the warning:

*ctry invalid name

The (tedious) alternative is: A  =  st_data(.,(“US_ctry”, “UK_ctry")

Any suggestion would be appreciated, because the number of variables
are too many.