st: foreach to renumber vars

From   "B. Timothy Walsh" <btw1@columbia.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: foreach to renumber vars
Date   Tue, 07 Sep 2010 12:34:32 -0400

I would like to rename/renumber variables of the format x2 - x100 to y0 - y98. In other words, I'd like to subtract 2 from the "subscript". I'm afraid I am still not skilled enough to figure out how to do this with foreach and a macro.
I would appreciate suggestions. Many thanks in advance!
Tim Walsh