Re: st: Multiple Imputation on Panel Data: all variables have missing data, and the panels are expanding

From   Neil Shephard <nshephard@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Multiple Imputation on Panel Data: all variables have missing data, and the panels are expanding
Date   Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:02:22 +0000

>> So here's my situation: I have a rich panel dataset from a developing
>> country that could yield some interesting policy results.  It is the
>> unfortunate consequence of working on data from a developing country,
>> that the data has missing values.
>
> That is true everywhere.

...and brings to mind the following quote....

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1)

(electronic copy available at
http://www-stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~steele/HoldingPen/SunsetSalvo.pdf )

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything

Email - nshephard@gmail.com
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/