st: Write a parametric survival model in the hazard notation

From   "Christ, Florian" <Florian.Christ@whu.edu>
Subject   st: Write a parametric survival model in the hazard notation
Date   Sun, 5 Sep 2010 12:46:30 +0200

Dear statalisters,

I am new to statalist and would greatly appreciate your help with regard to my 'rookie' event-history problem.

I am reporting coefficients from a parametric survival model (Generalized gamma distribution; following the AIC and BIC criterion) for my research project. However, as I am examining employee turnover as dependent variable interpretation of coefficients would be easier, if they would equal the hazard notation rather than the survival notation (e.g., positive coefficients should mean that the predictor increases the hazard). E.g., Cleves et al. mention in their great book on p.20 that "any parametric survival model can be written in the hazard notation".

So I was wondering if and how I can practically write my survival model (generalized gamma distribution) in the hazard notation? Do I have to write an own maximum likelihood estimator for this? If so, how? Alternatively I may probably just transform the coefficients so that they reflect the hazard logic (probably with estout; transform). If there are other solutions to this problem I would also greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks so much in advance for your help and support.

Best regards,

Florian

Florian Christ

WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management
Doctoral Research Fellow