RE: st: Mixed negative binomial models?

From   Garry Anderson <>
Subject   RE: st: Mixed negative binomial models?
Date   Wed, 01 Sep 2010 12:40:52 +1000

Dear Troy,

You cite Rabe-Hesketh and Skrondal (2008) "Multilevel and Longitudinal
Modeling Using Stata".
On page 394 is -xtnbreg dep xvarlist, irr i(id)-
The authors mention some weaknesses of this model and say "We therefore
do not recommend using this model."

Best wishes

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Michael N.
Sent: Tuesday, 31 August 2010 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: st: Mixed negative binomial models?

Dear Troy

   This came up recently, see

   Here were my thoughts from the time, but see the link above for other
thoughts as well...

    Based on the link
it seems that gllamm (within Stata) will not fit such a model.

    HLM will fit random slope poisson models, but I do not see anything
about it fitting random slope negative binomial models.

    I am pretty sure Mplus will fit random slope negative binomial
models, although I have never done so. The link indicates Mplus does fit
negative binomial models, and for Mplus it is common that pretty much
any parameter can be treated as a random slope.

    You can download a demo version of Mplus at and you can see example Mplus
programs at and annotated
outputs at .

Best regards,

Michael N. Mitchell