RE: st: RE: merging observations in one dataset

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: merging observations in one dataset
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:47:28 +0100

I don't want to seem to keep picking on you, but you don't seem to have studied the FAQ on how to post answers. You sent a spreadsheet attachment which by accident will have got through to some readers but will appear pure garbage to most, as witness

<http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.1008/date/article-1600.html>

Attachments are deprecated on this list.

Now to the main point:

Your spreadsheet example showed

Bank ID	Quarter  	Assets	Capital	Holding company
1	1	324532	8768	x
1	2	433243	787686	x
1	3	34234	7686	x
2	1	643363	67867	y
2	2	465346	68678	y
2	3	54363	76868	y
3	1	4636436	7678768	x
3	2	463346	7686876	x
3	3	5325345	788768	x

After
Bank ID	Quarter  	Assets	Capital	Holding company
1	1	4960968	7687536	x
1	2	896589	8474562	x
1	3	5359579	796454	x
2	1	643363	67867	y
2	2	465346	68678	y
2	3	54363	76868	y

Please explain how you get from "before" or "after". I can't see the connection. What happened to Bank #3?

And _no_ attachments please.

David Kehrl

sorry again here is the before and after example

2010/8/31 David Kehrl <[email protected]>:
> sorry,here an example,
> what i want now is to sum all balance sheet variables (in this case
> assets and capital) at the holding company level.Hope this is more
> clear.
>

> Bank ID   Assets Securities Quarter  Holding
>
> 2010/8/31 Nick Cox <[email protected]>:

>> Merge, aggregate, sum: You are sending conflicting signals. I suggest a worked example showing exactly what you want, before and after. It can be hypothetical; all that is needful is that it be clear.

David Kehrl