Re: st: Marginal Effects for Logistic Mulitlevel Model withInteractionTerms

Subject   Re: st: Marginal Effects for Logistic Mulitlevel Model withInteractionTerms
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:34:23 -0500

At 04:50 AM 8/30/2010, Maarten buis wrote:
--- On Mon, 30/8/10, Richard Williams wrote:
> I notice that, unlike -mfx-, the new -margins- command does
> not even  report marginal effects for interaction terms, e.g.
> So, does this mean that marginal effects of interaction
> terms are no longer an issue because Stata is now handling
> them correctly, blending in the interaction effects with the
> main effects? Or, would people still want to (somehow)
> compute a marginal effect for the interaction term?
Those are cases where you want to know the change in effect
of one variable (education, parental social class) when
another variable changes (gender, time). So in those cases
you want some quantification of the size of the interaction
effect.

I agree that we want some quantification of the size of interaction effects. But, is the marginal effect of the interaction term no longer even a candidate for that task, since margins does not report it? It seems that marginal effects of interaction terms have gone from being reported (incorrectly?) to not even being reported at all. Which is fine with me, but it seems like there was a lot of concern in the past with getting the mfx of interaction terms reported "correctly" (e.g. there is the -inteff- program at SSC.)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam