AW: st: Interaction of dummy variable with log-transformed variable

From   P K <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   AW: st: Interaction of dummy variable with log-transformed variable
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:01:30 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Clive,
Thank you very much for your response and the clarifications. I forgot to
mention that I included the dummy in my model, i.e. I have tested the model

Y = a + b_IV + c_D + d_IV*D + e

Y is not log-transformed.

Comparing the model without the interaction (i.e. Y = a + b_IV + c_D  + e) to
the model with interaction (Y = a + b_IV + c_D + d_IV*D + e) yields the
following results for the coefficients:

b changes from 5 to -6 (not significant in both models)
c changes from 12 (significant) to -12 (not significant)
interaction coefficient for model with interaction is 42 and significant.

I am not sure on the following issues:
(1) Does the significant and positive interaction term imply that the effect of
the logged IV on Y is positive and significant when the dummy is 1? This
somewhat

     contradicts your statement that "the easiest interpretation of _d_ is that
the effect of your logged IV on Y turns negative when the dummy shifts to 1."

(2) If I want to test whether the logged IV moderates the relationship between
the dummy and Y, is the following interpretation right?
       - dummy c has positive and significant relation with Y
    - logged IV positively moderates the relationship between dummy and Y
(interaction term positive and significant)?
(3) What are possible explanations for the dummy turning negative and
insignificant when the interaction with logged IV is entered? May it be that the
interaction

     between dummy and logged IV has relationship with Y, rather than dummy
only?
(4) Is there any way to give an idea how large the moderation effect of dummy
and logged IV are on Y? (i.e. total effect = c+d  or  c+b+d?)

I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Susan