Re: st: RE: Testing dependence in a 2x2 table for clustered observations

Subject   Re: st: RE: Testing dependence in a 2x2 table for clustered observations
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:00:56 -0400

--

"Now, some small centres have an empty cell, and the data from that
centre is lost if Mantel-Haenszel methods are used. "

This is not correct. If the cells counts are a,b,c,d, centers with
only one empty cell will contribute either (a x d) or (b x c) ,
whichever is non-zero.  The MH method is often studied under the
assumption that the data arise from a fixed-effects logistic
regression, so it's not surprising that the results are similar.

Random effects logistic regression has more assumptions than  the
fixed effects model. I'm not expert in this area, but if the -re- and
-fe- options produce different results, I tend to believe -fe-.

One might try to check the -re- assumptions, e.g.:
************************
xtmelogit recovered treatment || clinic:
predict pclinic, reffects level(clinic)
egen ctag= tag(clinic)
qnorm pclinic if ctag, mlab(n)
************************

(By the way: There is a minor glitch in Paul's code. To get an average
8 observations per clinic, the sample size generation line would have
to be:  gen n = int(runiform()*16+.5))

Steve

-
Steven Samuels