st: RE: Creating an X,Y variable from X and Y columns

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: Creating an X,Y variable from X and Y columns
Date   Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:36:34 +0100

You can do this by producing a string variable, but I doubt that's what you want. I guess that you want to do matrix algebra, for which there is a limited -matrix- language in Stata and a much more versatile matrix-centred language in Mata.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Pszczola

   I am wondering if it is possible to take two columns of values (X and Y) and combine them into one, new variable that is X, Y? For example, say I have 5 variables for X and Y each. X=1 0 1 1 1 Y=0 0 1 1 1 and I want to create a new variable X,Y= 1,0 0,0 1,1 1,1 1,1.