RE: st: RE: backfill missing data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: backfill missing data
Date   Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:46:41 +0100

To summarise selectively, you got replies from three people independently, David Kantor, Steve Samuels and myself, all pretty experienced Stata people and all of whom said "get your problem into -long- form".

That is not to say that your problem is not soluble in Stata. I am sure it is. The problem is, I suspect, entirely psychological, that the people who have looked at this can't wrap their heads around what you want to do because the whole thing is structured in an unfamiliar way.

A better strategy may be to seek help locally within your institution so that you can talk through what your problem is with someone who understands your kind of data and knows more Stata than you do. Or take our advice....

David Torres

Nick,

Your point is well taken.  I figured, with respect to the shape of the
data, I'd get the same response on this question as on the previous
one.  As I end up reshaping the data to wide format for purposes of
imputation, I begin from that point in my questioning.  Apologies.

About the relationship between stfin1_* and stfin2_*, and so on, the
data I'm working with allows for respondents to report all jobs worked
since the date of last interview.  stfin1_* refers to the begin and
end dates of job1 worked in year *; stfin2_* refers to the begin and
end date of job2 worked in year *.  If a job is current at the time of
the survey date, then the end date is reported as the survey date.  A
job is included in a year only if it was ended since the date of last
interview; begin dates are irrelevant.  If a respondent misses a year
or more, but returns in a later round, he is asked about all jobs held
since the date of their last interview.  Since begin and end dates are
given, and since a job is attached to a specific employer, who is
given a unique ID, it is easy to backfill missing information.  The
ultimate purpose is to tie wages/compensation and hours or weeks
worked to a specific year, even if the interview was missed for that
year.  This is not information we want to impute since it already
exists.  I suppose there may be easier ways to pull information from
across the years to construct my variables, but I'm not yet a stata
expert.