st: incorporate table into figure

From   Jeph Herrin <stata@spandrel.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: incorporate table into figure
Date   Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:44:30 -0400

I would like to incorporate a very simply (4x2) table into
a figure. I would like the 4 columns to line up with the four
ticks on the x-axis, but appearing below the axis. The row
labels thus need to be in the left margin. In particular, I need
to reproduce a figure such as one of these

 http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/301/14/1439/JOC90023F2

and the issue is lining up the numbers across the bottom.

I have tried to set it up as a -caption()- with two strings,
but have two problems. First, I cannot persuade the caption to be
aligned with the left side of the graph; -span- only aligns with the
left edge of the y-axis lable, whereas I have set the margin to be
extra wide with -graphreg(m())-. Second, there seems to be no way
other than experiment to align the 4 columns with 4 ticks on the
x-axis. In the graph editor there is a "position offset" for the
caption box which I can set to <0 to achieve what I want, but
I cannot find any corresponding textbox_option.

Jeph