st: Interactions in xreg

From   Morten Hesse <>
Subject   st: Interactions in xreg
Date   Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:02:30 +0200

I found something that puzzles me.

I have data, where subjects are tested in 5 blocks. Subjects vary on variable "ant" (dummy coded). I want to test of there is a curvi-linear effect of "ant" on outcome igt.
blocksq=block^2 (to test curvi-linearity).

. xtreg igt ant block blocksq ant*blocksq age gender, mle

Gives me as a result an output, where I have parameters for each variable, including two for asp*blocksq, but only one for asp*block. No error message.

"block" is a float variable format %9.0g
"blocksq" is a float varible format %9.0g

Any ideas why I get two coefficients for one interaction, but only one for the other?

Would it be wrong of me to estimate the interactions simply as variables that I calculate "by hand", i.e. newvariable=ant*block, newvariable=ant*block^2, and enter those in stead of the interactions as determined by Stata.

Any help is appreciated.