RE: st: RE: Has -browse- changed in Stata 11?

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Has -browse- changed in Stata 11?
Date   Sun, 22 Aug 2010 07:21:13 +0800

I had a look at -ebrowse- that Eric suggested and I think I now know why
there has been a change in the function of -browse-.

In pre-Stata 11, browse locked the command window and you had to close
the -browse- window in order to regain access to the command window.
This also meant that you couldn't run a do-file if the browse window was
open. Now in Stata 11, you can -browse- the data and still have access
to the command window or run a do-file.

There isn't a browse.ado file, so -browse- must be implemented within
the Stata .exe file, but I suspect that, like -ebrowse-, the old
-browse- version must have been preserving and restoring the data in
some way.

So I think we have lost one feature of -browse- in order to gain a new
feature.  While I liked the order function of the older -browse-, I must
say that I find having uninterrupted access to the command window in the
new version to be more desirable.

Kieran