Re: st: linear, quadratic terms and centering

From   Fabio Zona <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: linear, quadratic terms and centering
Date   Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:20:22 +0200 (CEST)

Thank you very much Michael!

One more information: I have to make a complex interaction, whereby a linear and a square term are both interacted with a linear (continuous) variable x2:

y = a +   x1 + x1_Square  + x2  +   x2 x1  +   x2 x1_Square

One of my VIF ( the one related to  x2 x1_Square  ) is just above 10 ( it is 10,949),  while the maximum condition index reaches the value of  19,782 (for the same  interaction term  x2  x1_Square ).

Do I have a problem of multicollinearity with this value just above the threshold of 10 ? How can I fix this problem ?

I know there is this command in STATA orthog; how does this command work? I though that I had to calculate the quadratic term and then use orthog between the linear and the quadratic term. However, since you said that (for centering variables) I first center the linear term and then calculate the quadratic term, I get confused also about orthog!
Thanks