st: How to "manually" weight data within quantile regression models

From   "Steven Hanke" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to "manually" weight data within quantile regression models
Date   Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:59:59 -0400

Dear Statausers,

I am working with data that needs to be weighted due to my stratified sampling technique.  Generally, pweight appears to be appropriate in this situation.  Unfortunately, pweight does not work within quantile regression models.

I looked through prior Statalist postings and noticed that it was suggested in 2006 to weight the data "manually."  I know that pweight weights the data by the inverse of the probability of being sampled.  I have been able to therefore calculate the necessary weight.  Unfortunately, I have reviewed several sources (including the STATA reference manual and user guide) and have been unable to actually determine the mechanics of how to actually use this weight.

As such, I would be extremely grateful if someone could please provide me with citations of sources that discuss how to actually implement the manual weighting of the data.

Thank you,

Steven Hanke
Indiana University Purdue University - Fort Wayne