Re: st: merging datasets

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: merging datasets
Date   Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:40:20 +0000

010/8/18 Χρυσούλα Γιαννικοπούλου <[email protected]>:
> Hi Neil,
>
> thanks for your reply!
>
> Sorry, it was my fault in email. In stata I am trying to merge the
> bvdep_id_mother, indeed.
>
> When I do  'm:1' merge I have the following error message:
> ********
> bvdep_id_mother was str11 now str24
> variable bvdep_id_mother does not uniquely identify observations in
> the using data
> r(459);
> ***********
>
> What is going wrong?

Well Stata is telling you whats going wrong, simply that the
assumption that the dataset where you think observations are unique
based on bvdep_id_mother is false.

So, in your B.dta you can identify these by...

set mem 500m
use "B.dta"
rename  acquirorbvdepidnumber bvdep_id_mother
duplicates report bvdep_id_mother

Work out how/why these are there and drop those before saving and merging.

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/