RE: st: Re: test of the equality of coefficients in two models

Subject   RE: st: Re: test of the equality of coefficients in two models
Date   Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:30:36 +0100

Sharon, Sascha,

It depends on whether Sharon wants to cluster on one or two variables.

-suest- lets you cluster on one variable, and the code Austin Nichols
posted last year in

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-11/msg01485.html

shows how to replicate this by stacking (with minor differences in the
SEs because of differences in dof adjustments).  -ivreg-, -ivreg2- and
-ivregress- don't produce scores so -suest- won't work but stacking
does.  All straightforward if Sharon wants to cluster on one variable.

But it looks like Sharon wants to cluster on two variables.  Now if one
variable is nested in the other, it's still easy - just cluster on the
"larger" one.  For example, if the data were on individuals and you
wanted to cluster on individual and household, then clustering on
household is enough (assuming there are no individuals who change
household).

If the two variables aren't nested, then you can still cluster on both
using 2-way clustering of Cameron-Gelbach-Miller/Thompson.  This is
supported in the latest version of -ivreg2-, and is discussed in the
-ivreg2- help file and in the Stata user group presentation by
Baum-Nichols-Schaffer.  The latter is available at
http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/bost10/11.html.

I am pretty sure that the only thing you need to do to implement this is
to use Austin's code and just change the stacked estimation so that it
calls -ivreg2- with 2-way clustering, e.g.,

ivreg2 wage (hours=ten union) n, cl(idcode hours)

Cheers,
Mark