st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: FW: producing value labels when value has decimal point

From   "Miller, Ann C." <Ann_Miller@hms.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: FW: producing value labels when value has decimal point
Date   Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:00:35 -0400

Many thanks, all for the advice. The multiplying by 10 worked beautifully--thank you Erik (and Maartin and Nick)
--Ann

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:57 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: FW: producing value labels when value has decimal point

Yes, I imagine so, although specifying a -format()- to -tostring- is
often sufficient to overcome that problem. -tostring- by default and by
intent is ultra-cautious on your behalf.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Miller, Ann C.

I tried the -tostring- before -recast-, and got the error that it could
"not be converted reversibly: no replace". Is this because of the
decimal point precision issue you mention below?