Re: st: interpreting margins results

Subject   Re: st: interpreting margins results
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2010 05:42:26 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 10/8/10, Richard J Stoll <stoll@rice.edu> wrote:
> I have read the documentation and looked around for examples
> on the web and cannot find an example in which the
> calculated margin is significant for one (or some) values of
> the variable, but not for others.  My question is how to
> interpret such a finding.
<snip>

What you found was that two means are both not significantly
different from zero, but the difference between these two
means is significantly different from zero. That can happen,
for example there is a clear discussion of this in Gelman and
Stern (2006).

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Andrew Gelman and Hall Stern (2006) The Difference Between
"Significant" and "Not Significant" is not Itself Statistically Significant, The American Statistician, 60(4): 328--331.
<http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/signif4.pdf>

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen