st: matching by characteristics

From   Shubhabrata Mukherjee <joy_stat@yahoo.com>
To   stata forum <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: matching by characteristics
Date   Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

  I have a dataset of around 1000 people and I want to see how much the sample
size diminishes by if I match the participants just by age, by age and
education, by age, education and gender and so on. I do want to do some
preliminary analyses on those matched people so I would like to store them in
same manner.

So, I am thinking of a table like this:

Matching Variable              Sample size           ID variable

 Age                                       XX                       id_a

Age & educ                            YY                      id_ae

 Is there any function in STATA which will accomplish this?

 Thanks,

  -Joey