st: RE: Calculating percentages (proportions) of indicator variables

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Calculating percentages (proportions) of indicator variables
Date   Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:03:39 +0100

There is an FAQ:

How can I create variables containing percent summaries?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/percentvars.html

As such,

. search percent

would have pointed to this resource.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

rado645-bg@yahoo.de

I have a dataset based on a question with four different possible answers. The
question takes the form of an indicator variable with 4 different numeric values
(1,2,3,4).

I have data for individuals from several countries.  I need to generate a new
variable that contains the fraction (i.e. percentage share) of each response  to
the question within each country. However, I cannot find any online source on
calculating percentages with mutliple responses in Stata (more than two).

Example:

country: response:

1               3
1               3