st: RE: Tobit with gllamm

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Tobit with gllamm
Date   Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:16:01 +0100

This is in part not my usual territory, but it seems to me that you are
conflating two quite distinct issues, censoring of responses and bounded
problem is that at least some responses were, we believe, really greater
and/or less than was recorded.

Although you describe your variable as "censored", what is most obvious
from your description is that it is a bounded variable, which in
principle cannot be greater or less than the bounds specified. This is
in a sense the opposite situation from censoring. As you say, you can
rescale so that limits lie between 0 and 1, but the problem with -tobit-
necessarily remains exactly the same. But rescaling to [0,1] does make
other things easier.

You might benefit from Kit Baum's mini-review

SJ-8-2  st0147  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Stata tip 63: Modeling
proportions
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C.
F. Baum
        Q2/08   SJ 8(2):299--303                                 (no
commands)
        tip on how to model a response variable that appears
        as a proportion or fraction

I don't think the use of -gllamm- affects this central question.

Walter McManus

I am using gllamm to estimate a model with a censored dependent variable
and two random effects: an intercept and a price-slope.
The data are from a survey of consumers about plug-in hybrid electric
vehicles (PHEV), and the dependent variable is the stated probability of
purchasing a PHEV in several price scenarios.

I read the suggestions in statalist:

> Re: st: xttobit
> From Sophia Rabe-Hesketh <[email protected]> To
[email protected]
> Subject Re: st: xttobit Date Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:26:24 -0800
> Matt,
> I suggest first running xttobit and using the estimates as starting
values for gllamm. For the example command you gave in your email, the
data manipulation and gllamm command would be:
> xttobit zteq `vars', ll(0) ul(100) i(sys_id)
> * create a new dependent variable equal to 1 if right-censored * and 0
if left-censored:
> gen y=cond(zteq>=100,1,cond(zteq<=0,0,zteq)) if zteq<.
> * create offset variable equal to -100 if right-censored at * 100, 0
otherwise:
> gen off = cond(zteq>=100,-100,0)
> * create var=2 for censored observations, 1 otherwise:
> gen var=cond(zteq>=100|zteq<=0,2,1)
> * get starting values from xttobit (last two elements, /sigma_u * and
/sigma_e need to be switched and need logarithm of /sigma_e:
> matrix a=e(b) local n=colsof(a) matrix a[1,`n']=a[1,`n'-1] matrix
a[1,`n'-1]=ln(a[1,`n'])
> gllamm y `vars', offset(off) i(sys_id) fam(gauss binom) link(ident
sprobit) /* */ lv(var) fv(var) from(a) copy adapt
> The default number of quadrature points gllamm uses is 8 (which may be
more accurate than 12 with ordinary quadrature). You may have to
increase this using nip(20), etc. (perhaps do a kind of quadcheck
manually).
> Please let me know if you have any problems.

My dependent variable was originally measured on a scale from 0 to 100,
so I followed your suggestions with an offset of -100. However, some of
the results were puzzling--the predicted mu values for the censored
observations were between 0 and 1 and the mu values for the uncensored
observations included values > 100 and < 0. Thinking that the offset
might be the source of the puzzlement, I rescaled the dependent variable
to be on a 0 to 1 scale. This model requires no offset. The puzzle
remains--I still get values above 1 and below 0.