AW: st: AW: Carry over information on time-invariant covariate to all observations of a household?

From   "Dr. Martin Weiss" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: AW: Carry over information on time-invariant covariate to all observations of a household?
Date   Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:51:14 +0200

<>

This code shows that my approach is considerably faster (60 vs. 150 seconds)
than the alternative one. This could also depend on the number of
processors, so you can vary it in the first two lines of the code:

*************
//change # of processors
//set processors 2

//alternative 1
clear*

qui{
	set mem 1500m
	inp int(HH Year X)
	1     1990     5
	1     1991     .
	1     1992     .
	2     1990     .
	2     1991     3
	2     1992     .
	3     1990     .
	3     1991     .
	3     1992     2
	end

	compress

	//Create large dataset
	expand 5000000

	timer clear
	timer on 1
	bys HH: egen X2 = max(X)
	replace X = X2
	timer off 1
	qui timer list
	noi di in r "# of processors: "  c(processors) /*
	*/ _n "Alternative 1 (egen, max()) takes: " r(t1) " seconds"
	timer clear
}

//alternative 2
clear*

qui{
	set mem 1500m
	inp int(HH Year X)
	1     1990     5
	1     1991     .
	1     1992     .
	2     1990     .
	2     1991     3
	2     1992     .
	3     1990     .
	3     1991     .
	3     1992     2
	end

	compress

	//Create large dataset
	expand 5000000

	timer clear
	timer on 1
	bys HH (X): replace X = X[1]
	timer off 1
	qui timer list
	noi di in r "# of processors: "  c(processors) /*
	*/ _n "Alternative 2 (replace X = X[1]) takes: " r(t1) " seconds"
	timer clear
}

HTH
Martin